Eleven years after B. Altman opened store at 34th and Fifth, the Woolworth's Board of Directors announced that the company would build a large store at the NE corner of 40th Street and Fifth Avenue. The new "Five and Ten Cent Store deluxe" Woolworth's opened in the Fall of 1917.
|Parade route along Fifth Avenue -- most likely a WWI send-off parade. The parade is heading south; the view looking north. The Woolworth's store is on the far right, and brownstones where the future Arnold Constable building are to its right (north). Date, ca. 1917 Image: NYPL|
|Window shopping on Fifth Avenue, ca. 1930. Image: MCNY|
|Fifth Avenue looking north from 39th Street, ca. late 1930s / early 1940s. Image: Pisark|
|Woolworth's shopper shot by Stanley Kubrick, 1947. Image: MCNY|
Before Woolworth's the NE corner of 39th Street and Fifth Avenue was home to the Union League Clubhouse. The Union League Club was founded on February 6, 1863, and incorporated on February 16, 1865 as a group of political elites in support of the Union. Among others, Bryant Park's namesake William Cullen Bryant was a member.
|Union League Clubhouse, c. 1909, at the NE corner of 39th Street and Fifth Avenue. Image: LOC|
The building at 39th Street and Fifth Avenue was the club's third location, having moved first from 17th Street to Madison Avenue and 26th Street. The club moved to 39th Street on March 5, 1881 and stayed until 1931, at which time it moved to it's present location at 37th Street and Park Avenue.
|View of 39th Street and Fifth Avenue, showing the Union League Clubhouse and Arnold Constable & Co. store, 1929. Image: MCNY|
There are two Foot Locker stores in the 34th Street area, each within blocks of the former Woolworth's store at 35th Street and Broadway.
|Woolworth's at 35th Street and Broadway, c. 1927 Image: Pisark|
Union League Club Landmarks Preservation Commission Report, LP-2389
This book from Google book.