As I type, the sod for our lawn is being harvested at a farm in Tuckahoe, New Jersey. Taken earlier today, these photos show the beautiful grass (a mix of rye, fescue, and bluegrass) being cut and rolled in preparation for the trip to Manhattan tomorrow.
Sod installation is scheduled to begin tomorrow in the park and will continue early next week (pending appropriate weather conditions). At 300 feet long and 215 feet wide, it takes over 5,000 pieces of sod to complete our lawn.
Check out these posts for past updates on the lawn installation and other capital projects happening in the park:
- 3/1/2011 Farewell Citi Pond
- 3/4/2011 Pond Load Out Progress
- 3/9/2011 Pond Load Out Complete
- 3/16/2011 Lawn Improvements in Progress
- 3/22/2011 Bryant Park's Spring Flowers
- 4/1/2011 Rainy Day Lawn Update
- 4/12/2011 When Will the Lawn Be Open?
- 4/18/2011 Southwest Porch Getting a Facelift
- 4/22/2011 Layers of the Lawn