Nature-starved office workers and city dwellers flock to Bryant Park in the warm weather months to feel the sun on their faces and grass under their toes. Since March we’ve been watching it grow and today’s the day to grab your lunch and visit the park. The lawn will open at noon!
You might not know that the Lawn:
- is 1.1 acres, approximately the size of a football field
- is resodded twice a year with over 5,000 pieces of sod grown in Long Island
- takes roughly 6 weeks of sun and water to become a luxurious and resilient green carpet
- must be closed occasionally for aeration, fertilization, or protection during wet weather
- is monitored very carefully by Bryant Park Corporation staff (an aerial photograph of the lawn is taken every morning to document changes throughout the season)
- will be open to the public today at noon for the first time in 2009. Enjoy!
Check www.bryantpark.org for lawn openings and closings, updated daily.
One lawn’s journey from Long Island to the big city…